Celebrate World Egg-Free Day! Put the chicken before the egg by enjoying this delicious Magical vegan pavlova which uses no eggs!
Magical vegan pavlova
The world has gone crazy for aquafaba. Aquafaba is the liquid drained from of a can of chickpeas. You can use it in place of egg-whites in recipes. It even whips up into stiff peaks and makes a meringue that is startlingly similar to eggs. Everyone who tasted these vegan pavlovas was shocked to hear they were made without eggs.
||6-8 individual pavlovas
If you want to read more about this amazing ingredient, visit the Aquafaba site.
- 1 cup aquafaba (drained from a can of chickpeas)
- 2.5 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1.5 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups whipped coconut cream (or other non-dairy whipped cream)
- Sliced fruits of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C)
- Using a standmixer, whip the aquafaba on high-speed until it forms stiff peaks.
- Reduce the speed to medium and slowly add the powdered sugar. Once all the sugar is added, increase the speed to high until you get an even, fluffy mix. Don't overdo it!
- Reduce the speed to low and add the remaining ingredients.
- Scoop the mixture on to a cookie sheet (or 2) lined with parchment paper or silpat. You will want to make 6 circles of meringue that are about 10cm across. They might spread a bit in the oven, so give them a little room. You might need 2 cookie sheets!
- Put the pavlova in the oven and TURN THE TEMPERATURE DOWN TO 300F (150C) IMMEDIATELY.
- Bake for 90 minutes, then turn off the oven.
- Prop the oven door open with a wooden spoon and let the pavlova cool completely.
- Don't worry if they look cracked or collapsed in the middle, you are can easily cover it up!
- Once they are cool, add dollop of whipped coconut cream and spread it around.
- Top with a mixture of your favourite fruits.